Personal Leave Days
Leave-accruing Academic Personnel, USPS, and TEAMS employees are eligible for ten paid holidays each year. All full-time leave-accruing Academic Personnel, TEAMS, and USPS employees earn eight hours of holiday pay as long as they are in pay status for a reasonable portion of their last regularly scheduled workday before the holiday. Part-time employees are entitled to holiday time in proportion to their FTE.
Certain UFIT Teams have been designated as “essential.” “Essential” employees will be notified if they are required work during the winter break. UFIT policy for “essential” personnel is personal leave days shall be used prior to vacation leave in order to ensure the personal leave days are used in a timely manner. Unless otherwise notified by UF Administrative Memo, “essential” employees will have until June 30th of the current fiscal year to use their personal leave days.
An employee may be granted administrative leave for death in the immediate family or other situations as approved by appropriate university authorities. Full-time employees may use up to 2 days of administrative leave for each occurrence of death in their immediate family. The 2-day benefit is prorated for part-time employees. When requested, the employee must provide their supervisor with the name of the deceased and the affiliation with the employee.
USPS and non-exempt TEAMS employees are eligible to earn compensatory leave in certain situations.
Upon reasonable notice, supervisors or other appropriate University of Florida administrators may require employees to use any part of accrued overtime, special, or regular compensatory leave at any time deemed advisable. Employees who have accrued compensatory leave may be required to use such leave before using vacation leave.
Overtime is defined as work that is required or permitted beyond the 40 hour University workweek. It is a supervisor’s responsibility to insure that unauthorized overtime is not worked. The work schedule should be arranged so that overtime usually is not required. In situations where the department’s mission cannot be carried out unless overtime work is authorized, overtime work may be allowed. UFIT supervisors must follow procedures established by the UFIT CIO for obtaining prior authorization for use of overtime.
- Exempt TEAMS employees are not eligible for any compensatory time. Supervisors are encouraged, when possible, to adjust the workweek to compensate for additional hours worked by these employees.
- Exempt USPS employees who are required to work more than 40 hours in a workweek are eligible for regular compensatory leave on an hour-for-hour basis, not to exceed 120 hours.
- Overtime worked by employees in non-exempt USPS and TEAMS positions must be paid in one of two ways:
- The employee may be paid one and one-half times their regular hourly rate of pay for each hour of overtime worked.
- As an alternative, if the employee and supervisor so agree in advance, the employee may be compensated by crediting the employee with up to 120 hours of overtime compensatory leave; i.e., 80 hours of overtime work, on the basis of one and one-half hours of leave for each hour of overtime worked. Upon reaching the 120-hour limit of overtime compensatory leave, employees must either receive cash for additional hours of overtime worked or use accrued overtime compensatory leave before receiving further overtime compensatory leave credits.